Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"There's far too much to take in here..."

So, it’s been a week since my last update, and somehow, today already marks three whole weeks in Africa! Amazing. Anyway, I’ll cut to the chase! I have a lot to talk about and some pictures to share!

Last Wednesday the entire team was reunited up in Tsumeb. When we pulled in to park at the place we were spending the night, everyone’s faces lit up when we caught sight of the Coaster Deluxe and all the folks who had gone up to Rundu. There were big hugs, smiles, and laughing all around. We had been apart for a longer period of time than we had all spent together, but it was like meeting up with lifelong friends!

The next day we all drove up into Etosha National Park, and let me say, driving through there was definitely one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Everywhere you looked, all you could see was pure Africa. We drove through wide open plains, through forests and past dry lakebeds. It was all I imagined and more!


I’ll say right off the bat: no, we didn’t catch sight of any lions this time, but we did see elephants, springbok, kudu, wildebeast, and plenty of giraffes and zebras. I guess I’ll have to save the lions for next time!

For the most part we stayed in our vehicles, as you’re required to do, but at one of the outpost areas you could get out and walk over to a water hole where we saw a huge group of zebras come over to drink.

While driving by a water hole later in the day, we came upon what must’ve been a hundred or more zebra, at multiple points the coaster was no more than five or ten yards from the animals.

Another highlight was later in the day when we drove past a huge giraffe walking through the road. He walked around and started to chew on the trees right next to the road, giving us a perfect view straight at his long neck and head rising above the leaves. We all just sat there in awe, marveling at the size of the animal and watching him grab and chew his food. He didn’t seem to mind, and I probably could’ve sat there and watched him all day.


As we were driving to the park exit during the sunset, we passed this massive open plain. Not far from the road was a wildebeast among some springbok and a bit further back was a giraffe. Way off in the distance were the silhouettes of probably ten giraffes. It was absolutely beautiful; a major Jurassic Park, in awe of creation-type moment.

I know none of the pictures I took can do justice to how amazing the day in Etosha was. It was the Africa I’ve dreamed about. The "Circle of Life" Africa.

After Etosha, we drove back down here to Windhoek, Namibia’s capital city. Africa here is definitely different from the Africa of Etosha. Windhoek is quite a modern, beautiful city. All twenty team members are now living in a great six bedroom house in one of the nicest neighborhoods in Windhoek. In fact, the neighborhood feels very much like the hills of Los Angeles, save for the electric fences around every house. We’re here to evangelize to the students at Namibia Polytechnic Institute and the University of Namibia in the hopes of sharing the gospel and helping to really grow the Navigators Ministry here.

The last few days have been a bit of a struggle, as I’ve been trying to justify living in a beautiful, comfortable house and walking onto modern college campuses telling students about Jesus. It just doesn’t fit with my romanticized view of what it’s like to do mission work in Africa. However, I’m learning that mission work doesn’t necessarily need to be all about living in huts and getting dirty trekking out to villages where no one speaks English. God has blessed our team with a nice house where we’re able to relax when we need to and fellowship and study in a comfortable environment. It definitely helps us to charge up to go out into the city.

As for the college ministry, I’m realizing that the faces of the students I’m meeting are the faces of young men and women who have grown up facing the same struggles as the kids in classes back in Otjiwarongo. They’ve been taught many of the same lies and get caught up in the same snags. My heart broke for those young kids, and so it’s now pretty awesome to have the opportunity to minister to the next evolution of them.

Yesterday and today we were at Polytech, ministering to students, just starting up conversations with people, talking about God, sharing the bridge when possible. It’s incredibly difficult to just walk up to a stranger and start talking, but it’s gone pretty well. Some people aren’t interested in talking or say they have to get to class, and others are very happy to talk and learn. It’s challenging in that it’s extremely upfront in ways I’ve never been. It’s requiring a lot of faith in Jesus’ authority and the power of the gospel, but it’s resulting in some instant faith-growth for me. Some don’t know much about Jesus and God, but many claim to be Christians. That means different things to different people, and we’re really trying to find out what that actually does mean, trying to encourage and press students to get plugged in somewhere that is pouring into them and challenging them to grow. We’re telling them about the first Navigators Namibia One Day Conference on August 1st and many seem to be interested in coming.

We’re trying to build some real relationships here, and I’m really hoping and praying to have opportunities to follow up with some of the people I’ve met over the last two days. We’ll see. It’s been tough but very cool so far. Hopefully there is much more to come!

Okay, that’s it for tonight. I hope everybody is doing well, wherever this finds you! Here’s one last picture from my day at Etosha.


I know, it’s ridiculous, but how could a Pittsburgher like me go to Africa without a terrible towel? I was hoping I’d have the opportunity to wave the golden towel above the African landscape, and there I am, proudly repping the City of Champions.

"D’yinz guyz see dem zebras n’at?"

Love and miss you all!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Where did you get those biceps?!

Alex said...

Ha, I think it's an illusion, Evan. A mirage in the savannah.

Unknown said...

Everything sounds so amazing Alex! I'm so proud of you for going out there and doing all that you're doing... I know that you're out there impacting so many people everyday, it's so inspiring :) Just wanted to say hello from across the world and let you know that I'm thinking and praying for you!

love, Laura

Andrew Jarrell said...

Oh wow, I'm glad you've gotten your African safari wishes granted! Those pictures are incredible; it must have been amazing. It sounds like you guys are having a great impact down there and I can't wait to hear more stories. I love you and miss you!