Saturday, December 27, 2008

A New York City Christmas

Somehow Christmas has already come and gone. I really don't know where time goes, but here's some of what's been going on in the last few days.

(Brace yourself, I have a lot to write about.)

It's been very good to be home. Spending time with my family and friends has been pretty great. I've been especially trying to take advantage of my time with my family, and although we all get on eachother's nerves sometimes, it's been really good. I've even actually enjoyed Matt's company more than ever before, and spent a little time with he and his girlfriend last week when they invited me to watch Rent with them. (Two weeks before New York, how could I pass up an opportunity to watch Rent?)

It wasn't until I was sitting in Church on Christmas Eve that I actually started to think about what Christmas means. During the pastor's message, I realized how rarely I take time to dwell on the fact that God loved us enough to humble himself completely and come down to our level. It's really pretty ridiculously amazing. As I really thought about this, I was overcome with all sorts of different emotions.

This break has been full of emotional highs and lows. Last Thursday, Jessi Hagen, Rachel Mason, and Rachel's sister Phoebe came to visit Kevin and I for a day of fun in the Burgh. We did lots of cool stuff; we went to Heinz Chapel, found our way to the top of the Cathedral of Learning, ate Primanti's and went Ice Skating downtown in PPG Place. It was really great.

Then when I got home, I found all the news about the Crossroads accident. How horrible. I felt and feel so much pain for Keri, her family, and the community that has meant so much to me over the last two years. It kills me that I am disconnected from Crossroads while they are going through something so hard. The incredible strength and faith of her family has definitely helped me find some peace in all of this.

I had a few selfish moments last week when I was feeling bummed out that regardless of how winter quarter goes I won't be spending the summer in New York City. I'd love to be able to be there during the heat of summer to experience the side of the big apple I'll miss out on in winter. Luckily, those feelings didn't last for long, as it's impossible for me to be upset knowing that God has huge plans for me in Namibia. I am so excited for all of the risks, challenges, and hardships that I know I'll be facing. I cannot wait to be ripped out of my comfort zone. I'm terrified, but absolutely stoked. Plus, three and possibly six months of New York in winter is an absolute dream come true and I am thrilled to have whatever time I can there.

I got a chance to go out to lunch with my old youth director Chad and told him about Africa. He is really excited and cautioned me to be ready for the potential to have my life completely changed.

Wow. I'm glad I've got time to get ready. Although I'm sure the next 6 months will fly by, too.

I also got a chance to talk to the pastor at my old church and he was very excited to hear about Africa as well and offered whatever help he could. The support of he and Chad, on top of my family's support is amazing.

Christmas Day was wonderful. Gammy came in from Somerset and took part in most of our present opening. A highlight of the morning for me was giving Mom her gift. I had taken a bunch of pictures of Matt and Jaimie and I and took the three best and framed them for her. There aren't all that many pictures of us kids around, especially lately, so I knew she would love it and it would be much more heartfelt than some random cd or movie or something. As she opened it, she started to cry. The gift was a success.

You can actually take a look at all the pictures I took for her present right here.

I was given some great gifts and some definite necessities for my upcoming life in Brooklyn. One of the highlights was a new phone. My four year old phone died after 20 minutes of use, so I needed a new one badly. I got an enV2. I don't know much about what's hip in cell phone technology, but it seems pretty sweet. Now I can actually talk to people on my phone.

Another highlight was my Not For Tourists Guide to New York City 2009. I definitely needed it, and after owning the Los Angeles version that is pretty much the size and weight of a cinderblock, I'm amazed at how compact and convenient the pocket sized NFT New York is. It should fit perfectly into the pocket of my pea coat.

I also got a double air mattress, which I'll be sleeping on for 3 months this winter. It will probably take up almost my entire room. Don't worry, I post pictures once I get there.

Let's see, other good gifts were $50 to Old Navy (as everyone knows my current favorite store) with which I got a bunch of stylish new warm winter threads. The day after christmas 50% and 60% off deals were clutch. I also got Wall-E on dvd, which the family is going to watch in the next few days.

In the afternoon, we all went to see Marley & Me. Gammy had read the book and was really excited to go see it. It was actually a great movie, thanks to some surprisingly amazing performances by Owen Wilson and Jennifer Aniston. A warning though, if you go see this movie you will cry. I've never felt like that way watching any movie ever. It's a weird feeling knowing and seeing that every single person around you is crying. I had a huge throbbing lump in my throat for like 20 minutes as I tried to hold back the tears, but I couldn't help it, and soon the tears started to fall down my cheeks. Jaimie asked Dad if he cried and he told her, "Of course I did! If you're human, that will make you cry." He was right. You should go see it. I want to own a lab now.

I could talk more and more about the day and the day after Christmas, but maybe I'll wait to do that. The Ogles are headed up to Lake Erie to spend a few days up there together, with some skiing likely on Monday. It should be an excellent time.

If you actually read this whole post, I commend you. I'm sorry it's so long. If you just skimmed, I don't blame you. I haven't written in a while.

I hope everyone's Christmas was excellent. I plan on calling a bunch of people on my new phone soon.

peace out

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Double air mattresses are awesome. I sleep on one at school, and I love it.

Marley and Me... whoa man is that sad. The book made me cry like a baby, and the movie was effective to.