Tuesday, July 15, 2008

All the Stars and Boulevards

So I know its been a long time since my last post. I'm sorry. I guess I just don't have as much motivation to write this quarter. Probably if I lived alone I'd be more likely to write more often. Regardless, here's an update. Enjoy!

Coming home from work last Wednesday night Ian and I walked by the premiere of Meet Dave. We stopped, hoping to look across the street and see someone famous. I looked across the street, and in a classy suit I saw the one and only Ed Helms, aka Andy on the Office. He was talking and posing with Gabrielle Union, star of Meet Dave. It was pretty exciting, and I immediately called Andrew Jarrell to let him know I was looking at Andy. There were guys there handing out tickets to the public to come in and watch the movie. I didn't want a ticket, but it was still cool. I found out the next day that Eddie Murphy didn't even go to the premiere. I guess he had more important things to do.

Here's the pic. Sorry its so blurry, you can still definitely tell its them though. Maybe I need a better stalker lens for a camera.


Tomorrow night the premiere of Step Brothers is happening in the neighborhood. I think Ian and I might try to duck out of work a little early to try and make it back at 6:30 and maybe see Will Farrell or John C. Reilly. Step Brothers looks like it could be very funny.

Saturday a bunch of us DAAP Digital Design kids went to Disneyland for the day. There were five of us, and it was definitely a lot of fun, in fact more fun than I thought it would be. Everybody had a great time, and we hit the park hard. I just knew I had to go on Indy, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, and we did them all. The park was not too crowded, we had to wait an hour or so to ride Finding Nemo, but everything else was just like a half hour wait at the most.


On Splash Mountain (probably my Favorite ride at the Magic Kingdom in Florida, but not quite as good for some reason I can't yet explain out here) we made the mistake of putting Ian and I in the front two seats of the log. With the heaviest people in the front of the boat, every single hill we went down caused a huge splash and lots of water to pour over the sides of the boat onto us. Ian was in the front row and got very wet, and behind him I definitely got the wettest I ever have on Splash Mountain.

Surprisingly, I might say that the best part of the day this time wasn't any specific ride, but it was rather when we went to meet the princesses. In fantasyland at the Princess Fantasy Faire you waited in line to meet 3 princesses. You didn't find out who the princesses were until you walked around the wall to walk over to them. I'm not usually one who takes a lot of time to meet characters at the park, but everybody else with me wanted to, so I was happy to go along.

As we were waiting, I found myself getting excited and nervous. I'm fine meeting the characters in full costume with heads covering their faces and all, but the face characters can sometimes make me nervous, because they can look right at you and talk to you and everything. I was intimidated by the thought of it, especially since they're princesses.


Anyway, we walked around the corner to find Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, the classics. Ian and I were the only two guys in the group, and we told the girls that we had to go up to the princesses first to get our picture taking with each princess, then the girls could come over for a group picture. So that's what we did. The first pictures with Cinderella kind of felt like my first School Dance pictures when you didn't know where to put your hands and how close to stand and all, but they were still really fun. All of the princesses were very nice and fun, but Snow White was by far the greatest. She made Ian and I stand like Princes, and then held our arms. It was pretty magical, and that meeting may have resulted in Snow White overtaking Belle as my favorite Disney woman. I don't know though, Belle still has the complete package.

Expect a bunch of amazing pictures to show up on Facebook very soon. I know Emily's Camera has a bunch of them. I'll post a link as soon as I can.

Here's something big and exciting. This morning, I went to the lot of a certain huge Hollywood movie studio where I was treated to a screening of a certain huge Summer movie, coming out in a little while.

It's super fun to go to the studio lots. Its awesome to have to show your driver's license to the security people and get your name crossed off a list. After we went through the metal detector, my supervisor Anette and I sat on the back of a golf cart and got a ride through the lot over to the screening room. It was classic Hollywood. A few of the soundstage doors were open, but I couldn't really see anything inside. I considered just running into some of the trailers to try and see who might be inside them.

I'm not going to go into any details about the movie right here and now, but let me just say that it was absolutely awesome. I really wish I could talk about it with everyone, but alas, I have to wait. The experience of seeing a movie like this before the general public is pretty surreal and crazy. Although I got to see a smaller movie on the lot back in the winter, this was even more amazing and is definitely an aspect of life and the business out here I could definitely get used to. Awesome.

. . .

So, I'm still working to figure out where I fit here and what my purpose is. There are, however, some things I've been feeling really good about. I've done a much better job than any quarter before at keeping in touch with people. I've made plenty of phone dates with friends and had awesome conversations. It's been amazing to see and know that the relationships that were so awesome and positive for me in Spring quarter don't need to die even though we're thousands of miles apart. Its encouraging and awesome to know that when a strong connection is made through God not even distance can get in the way of that. The love and support that so many of us have given to eachother can and will continue. It's just pretty mind-blowing and awesome.

There have been plenty of struggles and challenges this quarter and I know many more are on the way. I miss Cincinnati and everything and everyone that has made it home over the last three years, but I am getting to know some amazing people and having some amazing experiences out here.

I know the more I force myself to take chances and challenge myself, the more I'll grow. Who knows if I'll ever come back to LA? I don't, but I do know the city still has a lot to teach me. And I definitely want to keep learning.

You're all amazing and I love you.

Rock on.

No comments: