Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I Feel the Earth Move Under my Feet

So, the ground isn't really supposed to move....or so I thought. 

Maybe you haven't heard but today in Los Angeles was an EARTHQUAKE!

The quake was apparently a 5.4 and happened at 11:42 this morning, and here's what I experienced:

Everybody in the city seems to be describing the starting moments in the same way, that it seemed like someone was walking around on the floor above us or that someone was wheeling something very heavy nearby. That's how it started and then the entire building began to sway and rock.  Within seconds, it clicked that an Earthquake was happening.  After a few more short seconds, I followed some people's lead and stood in a doorframe.

Apparently our building was built sometime in the 80s, so its not very old and apparently there are these giant wheels at the foundation deep under the building to absorb the shock.  That is probably why we didn't feel much shaking or rattling.  Still, being on the Fifth floor of a solid steel, marble covered building, and rocking what felt like a few feet back and forth was crazy.  Not necessarily scary, but crazy.  Once it seemed like it wasn't going to be too bad, it was even sort of fun.  

Also because of the wheels, our building kept rolling for what felt like a long time after the quake ended.  When it ended, everybody quickly went down the stairs and went outside.  People in other buildings were coming out, too, and a few fire trucks drove by, sirens blaring.  Initial cell phone calls didn't get through, apparently the city's system was overloaded.  

Everybody said an aftershock could come at any moment, and could even be just as bad as the initial quake, maybe worse, and I guess it can happen anytime from a few minutes to a few days later.  I haven't felt anything, even though I noticed the normal everyday vibrations in the floor once in a while.  We all went back inside, and pretty soon the day was continuing like normal.

Like I said, the quake was sort of fun, and it wasn't quite as bad as I had thought my first earthquake would be.  That being said, the news is reporting that this quake was just a reminder that "The Big One" could come anytime.  This one was probably the biggest quake in about 10 years or so, but apparently there is a 99% chance that the big one will come sometime in the next 30 years.  Sure, 30 years is a long time, but in terms of the Earth's life span, that's nothing.  Hopefully it doesn't happen too soon.  

Anyway, I'm excited to have experienced my first ever earthquake, and now I really have "lived in Los Angeles."  

Oh, Los Angeles.  

Good times.  

No comments: