Sunday, June 22, 2008

In for One tough summer...

After being worn out by a day of flying across the country, yesterday was a day to relax, and so relax I did.


I still had situating, unpacking and shopping to do yesterday, but Los Angeles is in the middle of a major heat wave so it was pretty much impossible to do anything but go to the beach. I hopped on the Metro Rapid bus and in 15 short minutes I met Tegan in Santa Monica. The sun was hot but the water was wonderfully cold. I don't know the last time I was actually swimming in the ocean, but it was amazing. I did my best to get rid of my farmer's tan, but there were only some minor color changes.  

I could potentially do this every weekend all summer?
  

I could get used to this.

My apartment is pretty sweet. The building is called "Club California" and is apparently the place everybody wants to live in Westwood. The whole place is really new and recently remodeled. There's a pool, a gym, and a half basketball court in the complex. Yesterday I almost got lost just trying to find my way outside.  

The funny thing about our unit is that no bedroom is completely private. There are two stories in our place, and there are just single big windows in every room that let light into both stories, so there is an opening by the wall in every bedroom between the two stories. In my bedroom, the master bedroom, it's especially a pain, since my room is right above the living room. It hasn't been a big deal so far though, and I can sleep through anything, so I'm sure I'll be okay.  

My bedroom has two bunks in it, so its kind of like being back in a dorm, but the room is pretty big. Right now it's just José and I living in the room, but I think more guys are moving in over the next few weeks. As long as I can get José to try to keep all his stuff organized, we'll be good.  
There's five of us living here so far, and my roommates are all very cool. They're all Campus Crusade guys, so I'm going to be sure to stir up some major Navs trouble. I'm totally looking forward to getting to know them and hanging out with them.

Last night, my roommate Nick and some of his friends let me in on their grilling dinner, which was awesome. I did some more shopping and unpacking, too, and I'm just about good to go.  

This afternoon I'm taking the bus downtown to go back to Mosaic, which I'm extremely excited about. It's one of the things I've missed most about California, and listening to podcasts just isn't as amazing as actually being a part of the place. I'm definitely hoping to do some hanging out with some of those people, too.  

I'm just stoked that I'll pretty much be hitting the ground running, while last quarter it took a month or so before I actually started getting involved. I'll definitely be looking into some kind of a small group, too.  

Anyway, that's enough for now, I'm going to go take a shower and get ready for the day. I hope everybody's summer is starting out great, and good luck to everybody with their first day of work tomorrow. I know I can't wait for mine!

much love
Alex 

No comments: