Sunday, June 29, 2008

Like a sound you hear, that lingers in your ear...

...but you can't forget from sundown to sunset
It's all in the air, you hear it everywhere
No matter what you do, it's gonna grab hold on you

California Soul

Well, week one of my California Adventure seems to be shaping up to be the rare kind of sequel that is even better than the original, and here is the hotly anticipated blog update. I have a lot I'd like to write about, but I'll probably get tired or bored before I can get to everything. The reason I haven't written in a while is I guess because I've been doing a bunch of stuff, and since I'm living with a bunch of guys, there are usually fun people to hang out with. I just haven't really felt like writing I guess.

I'll start there, with my living situation. Sure eight people will be living here soon, but its not actually as bad as I thought it could be. The apartment's pretty big, and the common areas are really nice and big. We have two full leather couches and a coffee table down in the living room, and a nice tall 6-seat breakfast table in the kitchen. In the bedrooms, there's not a whole lot of storage space in our bedrooms though. It hasn't been too bad for me, but this new guy, Phil, who's a graduate set design student at UCLA just moved his stuff in today and there is no room for a lot of it. He's going to have to put it in storage, I think. In my bedroom there are two bunk beds. It's like being in Daniels again or at camp, both of which bring back fun memories.

As for the guys themselves, they are pretty amazing. They instantly made me feel so welcome and loved in the apartment. It's crazy. I've been feeling challenged by this, knowing that if I had someone new moving into my house, there's a chance I'd probably be pretty selfish and unwelcoming. I'm trying to find the motivation to be as instantly helpful and welcoming to the other new interns at crew who haven't been there before. It's not easy, but I will be working on it. Anyway, so my roommates are great, and have taught me a lot already. I'm definitely feeling extremely lucky and blessed by this living situation, and I'm really excited to be able to spend the summer with them and get to know them better.

Going into work on Monday was absolutely great. I was so happy to see so many people that I know and love. It's crazy how great everybody there is. I know Dave will probably read this post and make fun of me for it, but I don't care. The people at Crew seem to make it a very special place. I'm feeling very lucky to be able to spend my summer with all of them, too. It's amazing to already know all of them. Just being able to walk to just about anyone's desk and strike up conversation is just really cool. They're all extremely friendly and welcoming....totally not how I expected Californians to be.

So let's see, what fun stuff went down this week? Well, Tuesday night I met up with some Mosaic folks and went to this place called Da Poetry Lounge. It's apparently like the hottest spoken word venue on the West Coast and it seriously was cool. There were so many people in this small theater that we sat on the stage. Some people were definitely a lot better than others, but the people that were good were really good. The founders of the Lounge were probably the best. There were three of those guys there. One of them, Brother Poetri, was the best, and he's been in movies and tv shows and stuff, including having a line in Blades of Glory. The fourth founder wasn't there, but it turns out he's Brother Dante, and he's actually the guy who played Rufio in Hook! We might have to go back to see if we might be able to see him. Anyway, it was really fun.

I tried to buy flip-flops in Beverly Hills on Thursday after work, but it turns out that stores close in Beverly Hills at like 7 every day. Is that how super classy places work? I just wanted to go to Gap, and even that closed at 7. Crazy. I don't know if that counts as "shopping in Beverly Hills."

Today I met Tegan at Santa Monica again. It was a lot of fun. I got off the bus here in Westwood and was walking to my apartment when I got to an entire street that was blocked off for the premiere of Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Apparently they have lots of premieres at the sweet single-screen theaters that are all like just 2 or 3 blocks from my house. I have some pictures, maybe I'll post them tomorrow.

Right now, I have to go to bed. Its 1:15 and I'm wiped out. I hope everybody's having a great weekend. I'm going to see Wall-E tomorrow night and I'm stoked. Take it easy!

much love,
Alex

No comments: